If you're experiencing digestive issues you are not alone.
Half our population complain of some digestive problem in any 12 month period, according to The Gut Foundation Australia.
You might be all too familiar with that uncomfortable feeling in your tummy, constant or intermittent bloating, irregular bowel movements and fatigue. These are all classic signs that your digestion is not at optimum.
SIGNS YOU'RE NOT DIGESTING YOUR FOOD PROPERLY:
- Uncomfortable in your gut
- Reflux & indigestion
- Not metabolising high fat foods properly
- Fatigue and mood swings (see below to understand why this is so)
- Allergic conditions such as eczema, asthma, hayfever and immune dysfunction
- Unexplained digestive issues
- Diagnosis or suspicion of candida, H pylori and parasites, such as Blastocystis
Gut Health 101:
The gut houses trillions of bacterial cells. Picture a two kilo bag of rice - that's the amount of bacteria you have sitting in your gut; two whole whopping kilos. This bacteria is often called the 'gut microbe'. Your gut microbe is a reflection of your overall health. You see, you can't be at optimum physical and mental health if your gut isn't there too. The microbe is thrown out of whack and damaged by a number of factors, including high stress, medication, alcohol, caffeine, processed foods as well as environmental toxins, such as the air we breath and hygiene products. These can all cause inflammation, which if left untreated can cause intestinal permeability (aka leaky gut), food intolerances, immune dysfunction, mood swings, weight gain, cardiovascular issues and chronic disease.
WHY YOU NEED A HEALTHY GUT:
A healthy microbe is needed to perform numerous functions, including:
- They help the body to digest foods, by producing enzymes to help breakdown carbohydrates
- They help with the production of some vitamins, including Vitamin B12; a key vitamin to boost your energy
- They provide a natural barrier and protect you against pathogens, including bacteria, parasites, fungi, viruses, toxins etc. by producing antimicrobial substances
- They play an important role in the immune system - over 80% of your immune cells live in your gut. So if you experience allergies such as asthma, hayfever, psoriasis, eczema, food allergies and autoimmune conditions such as Coeliac Disease and Hashimoto's, it's a clear sign that your gut needs immediate support.
TESTING & Where to from here:
To find out what is going on in your gut and reduce your symptoms, we start by changing your diet; focusing on anti-inflammatory foods to reduce inflammation to the gut lining and aid digestion, and we look at testing options. We can use a range of tests to understand exactly what is going on in your gut. The most common tests are food intolerance testing and a Comprehensive Stool Analysis, which tells us all about your gut health, including if you have leaky gut, candida and parasites.
We support you with nutritional guidance, meal plans, shopping lists, recipes and a bespoke prescription pad so you can wave goodbye to bloating, get your bowels moving daily and enjoy the abundance of foods again. Contact us now to book in your consultation