If you've ordered your essentials oils and you're thinking, well how do I get cracking with all of these, or you're stuck in a rut of using the same few oils day-in, day-out, it's time to open your mind and your diffuser, and get busy experiencing all the uses, properties and magic of your oils.
I've thrown together a list of 13 ways we use essential oils every day in my house. I tried to keep the list nice and succinct with 10 ways we use oils, but I just couldn't. So here's my list of 13 ways we bust out our oils...
13 ways we use essential oils every day in my house:
1. Fire up your metabolism & kick start digestion with Lemon or Wild Orange. Just one drop added in to a glass of water upon rising can support metabolism, digestion and aid detoxification pathways. Hot tip: Adding a drop in to a glass of sparkling water is the perfect mocktail.
2. Energising and invigorating oils/blends to lift your mood and support learning. My fave morning blends in the diffuser:
- A citrus oil like lemon (aka The Oil of Focus), wild orange, lemongrass or red mandarin (my latest obsession) and peppermint.
- Elevation aka Joyful Blend, is a doTERRA blend, which includes tangerine, lemon myrtle, melissa, lavender etc, is fantastic in the morning to lift your mood!
3. Calm with Frankincense. Known as a balancing and grounding oil it’s the perfect antidote for chaos and that 3pm slump. Diffuse it (it’s great blended with Lavender) and try applying to temples, back of neck or soles of feet.
- Balance - a doTERRA blend, that has Spruce, Frankincense, Chamomile, Blue Tansy and Ho Wood. It's such a masculine, ground and calming blend. It's heaven.
4. Improve sleep. Think Lavender, Lavender, Lavender. Lavender stimulates the pineal gland, which produces melatonin, a sleep hormone!!!
My munchkins have their own Lavender roller bottle that I make up (always dilute safely - 1 drop of Lavender essential oil for 10mls of carrier oil for children is safe dilution), applied to soles of feet, chest and wrists before bed. They absolutely love it.
Diffuser blends to support sleep:
- To support sleep for those with a tendency for anxiety and restlessness: Lavender and Easy Aid
- To support sleep for those with issues falling or staying asleep: Lavender, Frankincense and Vetiver. Vetiver is a natural tranquiliser, and can induce a restful sleep
- To support sleep for those with sinus congestion, allergies and colds: Lavender, Easy Air and On Guard
5. Give your immune system a hug. You can try popping a few drops of On Guard in the diffuser and do this weekly to support immunity. This is particularly useful in cold/flu season, if you're juggling a hectic schedule and if you have any little ones attending day care, and they come home as constant snot balls. Remember, On Guard contains a blend of anti-oxidant and immune supportive essential oils, including Clove oil, which is antibacterial and anti-fungal. It's also one of the highest sources of antioxidants in the world!
In fact, clove essential oil has 50 X more antioxidants than blueberries!
6. Switch to low toxicity cleaning options (without spending a fortune!) In a 200ml spray bottle add in 15 drops of Lemon and 15 drops of On Guard and fill the rest up with water. This is what I use to clean tables, bench tops, bathroom sinks, etc. For a lot of grim and dirt I might add in a few extra drops of Oregano.
7. Make your own soothing and hydrating body moisturiser
My fave blend (you’ll see it’s best to use 3 oils; a citrus, wood and floral scent):
- Lemon/Wild Orange with Frankincense and Lavender
- Lemongrass with Frankincense and Geranium
- Grapefruit with Frankincense and Patchouli
Vanessa Jean kindly shares her beautiful aromatic dressing blends and body butter recipe here
8. Manage sore muscles or shoulder tension: Using Ice blue diluted and massaged to area of soreness, to help manage inflammation and pain, and improve mobility.
9. Peppermint/Wild Orange: can be used as flavouring in smoothies, protein balls or healthy desserts. doTERRA's essential oils are approved as food safe in Australia (check each doTERRA bottle, which tells you if the oil is safe for ingestion).
10. Switch to a natural perfume. Whisper is my favourite. It’s a blend by doTERRA and it smells like you've walked in to a lolly shop from your childhood. It smells just like musk sticks. If you’re not in to the sweet lolly smell you can try something more grounding like Frankincense with Lavender.
11. Manage sugar cravings - a drop of Lemon or Smart and Sassy in a glass of water or cuppa tea when sugar cravings hit is useful. Smart and Sassy is called the Metabolic blend, as it’s got a blend of oils (Lemon, Grapefruit, Peppermint, Ginger and Cinnamon), to manage sugar cravings and promote a healthy metabolism.
12. Ditch coffee for the morning pick-me-up, and say hello to Peppermint – it’ll pep you up with its invigorating properties. It’s great to use just before exercising to enhance performance.
13. Herbs and spices in cooking - If I've only got limp and old looking herbs in the fridge, which happens too often in my case, I'll add in ONE drop (only) of Oregano, Lemon, Basil or Cumin in to snacks like hummus or in to the evening meal, such as stew, casserole, rice, Bolognese sauce, etc. to flavour the meal. It’s delicious, cheap, effective and healthy!
Note: when applying any oils topically always do so safely using the dilution chart here
Olivia McFadyen, based in Lane Cove on Sydney's North Shore, is a Naturopath, Nutritional Therapist, Herbalist and Homoeopath and doTERRA Wellness Advocate (aka essential oil lover). Olivia is your girl-next-door Naturopath; there's no calorie counting, deprivation or fad, just practical nutritional recommendations, which includes 7-day meal templates, meal ideas, recipes and shopping lists, and easy-to-apply lifestyle recommendations. She services her patients by offering in-clinic and Skype consultations and corporate workshops. Olivia also loves collaborating with fellow health enthusiasts; she offers essential oil workshops, that take place in the clinic in Lane Cove or in the comfort of your own home, with your loved ones. She looks forward to connecting with you