I'm not proud to admit it but I used to silently judge those snotty-nosed germy looking toddlers and think to myself, why isn't your mum wiping your nose... like really, where's your mum and the tissues? I'm now one of those Mum's WITH the snotty kids. The germs, congestion, colds and candle-snot is never-ending when you've got kids going to child care or school. And the fights that come by the end of the day when the kids are irritable and tired of you wiping their nose, are often not worth having. I'd rather have happy kids that have the dried snot sitting on top of their cute little button noses.
Not to mention the colds we 'share' in the workplace or commuting, just think of an aeroplane and you can feel your sinuses closing in and getting congested.
One thing I do to manage congestion and colds is make my own Homemade Natural Breathe Easy Vapour Chest Rub and Roller Blend.
Think of doTERRA's Easy Air blend as your winter saviour. Your congestion buster. Snotty-nose be-gone ninja.
Here's the exciting news... for the month of June you can get Easy Air for FREE. It's the free Product of the Month. All you need to do is set up your LRP template at 125PV or more, to ship before the 15th of the month, and you'll get this freebie added to your order. You can read more about LRP and freebies here
Easy Aid contains 7 key respiratory and immune-supportive essential oils, including Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Laurel, Tea Tree, Lemon, Cardamom, Ravintsara and Ravensara. Every Aussie will know a few of these; Eucalyptus and Tea Tree, grown natively, are often in our medicine cabinets and in conventional chest rub creams. What you want to do is throw away conventional chest rub creams. Go on, put them in the bin. Truly. Vicks for example, contains toxic ingredients, like Camphor. Reports show eating or drinking as little as five milliliters of camphor oil can kill a child. Of course, Vicks doesn't have deadly amounts of Camphor in it but why use any ingredient that is toxic in high doses? My rule of thumb is don't rub something on to the skin that isn't safe to eat. After all, majority of what you rub on to the skin is absorbed THROUGH the skin in to the blood stream. Think of nicotine patches - that's how they work.
Here's two recipes that are natural, low-toxicity, cheap and effective for supporting congestion, colds, coughs and support allergic symptoms, including asthma, sinusitis and hayfever.
My Top 3 Essential Oils for Congestion and Respiratory Support:
- Easy Air - known as Breath or Clear Blend. It's a blend of key respiratory and immune-supportive oils that open and soothe tissues of respiratory tract, support clear breathing, relax bronchial smooth muscles, combat airborne bacteria and viruses and support immunity.
- Arborvitae - known as 'The Oil of Divine Grace', which emotionally is very grounding and relaxing. As well as being known for its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, it's also an expectorant, which means it loosens and dissolve mucous to relieve coughs. Combining Easy Air and Arborvitae in a diffuser or roller blend is one of the best smells you will ever experience!
- Lavender - known for it's calming properties, it also has strong anti-allergic and anti-histamine properties, making it very useful in times of congestion, sinusitis, hayfever, asthma and colds.
Here's my two go-to recipes that I make up at the beginning of winter and leave in the medicine cabinet so we're armed and ready for winter.
Breathe Easy Roller Blend:
- 10mls fractionated coconut oils
- 3 drops doTERRA Easy Air (you can add in an extra 1/ 2 drops if you're making this for adults)
- 1 drop doTERRA Arborvitae (you can add in an extra 1/2 drops if you're making this for adults)
This blend was made for my toddlers so it's more diluted than an adults blend. If you're making the blend for adults you can increase the amount of essential oils, for example you can use 5 drops of Easy Air and 3 drops of Arborvitae in 10mls carrier oil.
Apply to chest to soothe and open airways, back of neck and soles of feet
Homemade Breathe Easy Chest Rub
- 2 Tablespoons of virgin coconut oil (the one you use in your kitchen not a fractionated one)
- 8 drops doTERRA Easy Air
- 4 drops doTERRA Arborviatae
- 2 drops doTERRA Lavender
- Melt the coconut oil and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes or until lukewarm (you still want it to be liquid).
- Add in essential oils and stir until combined
- Pour the oil blend it in to a steralised jar
- Allow to cool completely (if it's hot weather you may need to let it cool in the fridge). The coconut oil will set hard and you've got a DIY Vicks Alternative that is low-toxicity, natural and cheap as chips, as well as effective.
Apply directly to chest, neck and back to soothe congestion and open airways, and support immunity
Olivia McFadyen, based in Lane Cove on Sydney's North Shore, is a Naturopath, Nutritional Therapist, Herbalist and Homoeopath and doTERRA Wellness Advocate (aka essential oil lover). Olivia is your girl-next-door Naturopath; there's no calorie counting, deprivation or fad, just practical nutritional recommendations, which includes 7-day meal templates, meal ideas, recipes and shopping lists, and easy-to-apply lifestyle recommendations. She services her patients by offering in-clinic and Skype consultations and corporate workshops. Olivia also loves collaborating with fellow health enthusiasts; she offers essential oil workshops, that take place in the clinic in Lane Cove or in the comfort of your own home, with your loved ones. She looks forward to connecting with you