By Tom McFadyen
Green smoothies are for girls and protein shakes are for boys, right? Stuff that. If I want a delicious brekkie or snack that's loaded with protein, antioxidants and essential minerals you can give me a green smoothie any day.
There are heaps of green smoothie recipes out there; some great, some a bit bland. This is one that I've settled on as my favourite over the past couple of months.
Adding some strong mint leaves gives it a really fresh, rejuvenating taste and helps stop the banana from overpowering everything else as it can do, so it's great if you're not a massive fan of bananas but you still want it to pack a serious potassium punch.
- 2-3 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 handful of mint leaves
- 1/2 a medium banana
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 Tbsp organic peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp organic honey
- 50-100mL rice milk
- Ice cubes
- Peel and freeze the banana in preparation (break into pieces before freezing)
- Add all ingredients into a high-speed blender
- Blend until smooth
- Taste and add a little more of anything until you're happy with it!
- Throw in a Tbsp of raw cacao powder for a chocolaty twist
- Change the rice milk for coconut milk or even organic cow's milk depending on what you have in the fridge
- Kale works just as well instead of baby spinach
- I recommend using a strong tasting honey for a distinctive taste (3-4 organic dates also add sweetness if you'd prefer)
- Don't be stingy on the ice cubes because you want it really chilled for the best taste
Olivia McFadyen, based in Mosman on Sydney's Lower North Shore, is a qualified Naturopath, Nutritional Therapist, Herbalist and Homoeopath. Whilst Olivia is a qualified Naturopath and Nutritionist, she is also a realist and understands the demands of modern day life, offering nutrition, herbal medicine and homoeopathic consultations and support without compromising on the enjoyment food can bring. She is passionate about supporting patients to reach their lifestyle goals, optimise their health & develop a healthy yet balanced way of life through naturopathy and homoeopathy. She services her clients by offering 4 and 12 week natural health programs from her clinic in Mosman on Sydney's Lower North Shore.